Overall, TorGuard provides safe and private internet connections with low ping. It is easy to use and you can choose from a variety of tunneling protocols. The prices are a bit high though, and you don’t have access to many of the biggest streaming platforms.
- 3 great VPNs for Xbox in 2022
- Fastest VPN for gaming
- How to Use a VPN on an Xbox One Through a Windows PC
- How to Use a VPN on an Xbox One Through a Mac
- Connect the router to the VPN
- Connect the Xbox to the router
- Tips on How to Choose the Best Xbox One and Streaming VPN for You
- How to Set Up a VPN on Your Xbox One
- Through an Ethernet Cable
- Connect Through Your Home Router
- Set up Xbox One VPN via Mac
- Related articles for further reading
- Author: Lewis Painter, Senior Staff Writer
- Can I use a free VPN with Xbox One?
- Can you use a VPN on Xbox?
- What VPNs work on Xbox?
- Can someone hack your Xbox IP address?
- Should I use a free VPN for Xbox One?
- More VPN guides from CyberNews:
- Frequently Asked Questions
3 great VPNs for Xbox in 2022
So you’ve finally got your hands on the new Xbox Series X / S console. What now? If you want to get even more out of your gaming console, you can consider going with a VPN or Virtual Private Network. A VPN can help you access geo-blocked content, protect you from DDoS attacks, and more. However, with so many VPN services to choose from, it can be difficult to find the best VPN for your gaming needs. Not all VPN providers offer the same level of security and speed, and not all support Microsoft’s Xbox platform. Fortunately, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve tested many VPN services and narrowed them down to the best VPNs that give you extra privacy and protection on your Xbox without slowing you down.
So, if you want to maintain connection speed, bypass bandwidth throttling, protect yourself from a potential DDoS attack, and bypass geo-blocking, any VPN provider listed here will do all of that and more. All of our recommendations for the best Xbox VPNs offer competitive speeds, are completely secure, and are compatible with the Microsoft Xbox platform. These VPNs can also be used through any type of internet connection, such as an Ethernet cable, Wi-Fi router, or mobile hotspot. Here are our picks for the best VPNs for Xbox.
Dan Ackerman / CNET
Remember that this is an evolving list. Check out this guide for the best VPNs for Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and Series S as we’ll keep updating it as new Xbox VPN options become available. In the meantime, for help getting a VPN up and running on your Xbox, see How to set up a VPN on Xbox .
Editor’s Note: Following the sale of ExpressVPN on September 13 to Kape Technologies, which has previously raised serious privacy concerns to us, we are carefully re-evaluating ExpressVPN to determine the consequences the new owner could have for users’ Privacy. We will update our recommendations and reviews if and when warranted.
Fastest VPN for gaming
IP address number: 30,000
Number of servers: over 3,000 in 94 countries
Number of simultaneous connections: 5
Cost: three months free on the annual subscription
When you play, speed is key, right? ExpressVPN consistently beats the biggest VPN providers in the industry in both our own speed tests and those of other review sites. Yes, this paid VPN service is more expensive than the other two gaming VPN options listed here, but for an extra dollar a month, you get blazing fast speeds, which is important when looking for the best VPN for Xbox One or any other Xbox device. Using any virtual private network can usually cut your internet speed in half or more, but when we ran speed tests on ExpressVPN, we found it reduced overall internet speed by less than 2%. To get the most out of ExpressVPN, they recommend that you install their app on your router or use a preconfigured router.
Like the other two providers on this list, ExpressVPN has no data cap and offers unlimited VPN server switching between a 100% RAM-disk network. This last part is a big security boost if you want nosy ISPs to stay out of your business. If that’s you, it’s also worth noting that ExpressVPN’s no-logs policy was tested in 2017, when Turkish authorities demanded that VPN provide usage logs during an ambassador’s investigation. By keeping no logs, ExpressVPN had nothing to offer when its servers were hijacked.
Unfortunately, ExpressVPN only offers five simultaneous connections, compared to NordVPN’s six and 10. IPVanish.
- Competitive speeds
- A solid security package
- The company is based in a privacy-friendly jurisdiction.
If you want a streaming-only VPN, Surfshark has SmartDNS. It’s easy to set up, and if you need help, live chat support is available around the clock .
How to Use a VPN on an Xbox One Through a Windows PC
Another way to do this is to use your computer as an intermediary. However, you will need an Ethernet cable for this to work. Also make sure your subscription is still active.
30 day money back guarantee
If all conditions are met, here’s how to use a VPN on Xbox One on a Windows PC:
Test the VPN connection on your Xbox One console by trying to access a game that you know is not available in your region. If everything is okay, you should be able to play it without any problem. If not, try the good old “disconnect then reconnect” method with an Ethernet cable.
How to Use a VPN on an Xbox One Through a Mac
Apple users don’t need to worry as there is a similar solution for macOS devices. In fact, you’ll need the same components (Ethernet cable and active subscription) to use a VPN on your Xbox One console. The process is quite simple and requires the following steps:
30 day money back guarantee
- Sign up for a secure VPN such as ExpressVPN
- Install ExpressVPN on your Mac.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to connect your Xbox One console to your computer.
- On your Mac, open “System Preferences.” Click “Sharing” and then select “Internet Sharing” from the list of options on the left side.
- A drop-down menu titled “Share your connection” will appear. Select “Wi-Fi.”
- Select an Ethernet cable from the list of devices that can use the network.
- Check the box next to “Internet Sharing” on the left side of the list. If your Xbox One console is successfully connected to your Mac, a little green symbol will appear.
- Finally, open the VPN service of your choice and connect it to your computer.
If the two devices are successfully connected, you should be able to use the VPN on your Xbox One console.
IPVanish is also one of the cheapest VPNs for Xbox One. Plans start as low as $ 3.75 a month, and you have 30 days to change your mind .
Connect the router to the VPN
1. Log in to the router as instructed in its documentation. This usually means opening a web browser and typing the router’s IP address into the URL bar to go to the router’s login screen. Here you will need the username and password mentioned above.
2. After logging in, look for the tab or screen that says Control Panel. If you don’t see it, look for the network settings tab. These are usually labeled Network or Basic, but may also be called Settings or Network / WAN Configuration. While all routers’ interfaces will be slightly different, almost all of them have one clearly labeled section where you can tell your router how to talk to the rest of the internet in the world.
You’ll know you’re in the right place when you see the text input fields under the DHCP heading. The text boxes will be labeled IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway Address.
3. After going into your router’s network settings, you’ll tell the router to communicate with the VPN. This is where you’ll need information from the VPN service I mentioned above. Each Xbox-enabled VPN has its own preferred setup method here, so contact your VPN company for specific steps if needed.
4. Be sure to save the changes you made to your router connection information before exiting.
Connect the Xbox to the router
The most reliable way to connect your Xbox to a router at this point is, of course, with an Ethernet cable, but jumping back to a wireless network now protected by a VPN is simple.
1. Turn on your Xbox console, then press the Xbox button and go to Settings.
2. Select Network in the settings.
3. Select Set up a wireless network.
4. When prompted by your Xbox, select your home wireless network from the list of networks it can detect. Then jump into Wi-Fi with your normal password.
Voila. And just like that, to all the outside eyes, your Xbox should now appear to be located in a different country thanks to your VPN and some elbow grease.
You can protect your identity by using a VPN every time you play on your Xbox console. A VPN allows you to play online using your own network of servers rather than your personal internet service provider, making your data completely invisible to anyone who might want to refer you. A high-quality VPN gives you complete protection every time you play.
Tips on How to Choose the Best Xbox One and Streaming VPN for You
When choosing a VPN for Xbox and other gaming consoles, I focus on 4 main areas:
- Security – All of my VPNs use military-grade encryption and multiple security protocols. This way, your identity and browsing history will be protected.
- Server network – You need a VPN with servers all over the world. This way, you will be able to connect to low ping servers and buy a pass, even if it is not available in your location.
- Speeds – You need super-fast speeds and low pings to play without lag or dropouts. The VPNs on my list offer impressive connections so you can browse, stream, and play video games without lag.
- Device Compatibility – Xbox doesn’t have native VPN compatibility, so you’ll need to configure it with a router. The services I chose have wide compatibility with many router models, so you can set them up on your Xbox console in no time.
How to Set Up a VPN on Your Xbox One
There are 3 ways to connect a VPN to your game console:
Through an Ethernet Cable
- Download VPN. I recommend ExpressVPN for its speed and security, keeping your Xbox protected at all times.
- Connect your Xbox console to your computer. Use an Ethernet cable to connect your game console to your computer or other VPN-enabled devices.
- Access computer settings. Right-click the “Start” button and go to Settings. Select “Network & Internet” and then click “VPN”.
- Find your VPN. Select “Change Adapter Options”. Just right-click the selected VPN information and click “Properties”.
- Allow VPN to connect to your device. Just click the “Sharing” tab, check the “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” box, and then check the “Choose a private network connection” box. Click OK.
- Connect your Xbox console. Press the Xbox button on your controller. Then press the RB button 3 times to display Settings.
- End the network connection. Select the “Network” tab and go to “Network Settings”. Click on “Test Network Connection”.
- Use your Xbox with a VPN! Your console should now be fully protected by VPN.
Connect Through Your Home Router
- Get a VPN. ExpressVPN has a great router app that gives you more freedom of connection, so this is my top recommendation.
- Access the Router’s Control Panel. You do this using your local IP address – look for the address on the back of your router.
- Go to router settings. Just select “Network”, then “Configure”, then “Settings” and then “WAN”.
- Enter your VPN details. You can find your username and password in the email sent to you when you first signed up, and detailed IP and DNS VPN details will be available on her website. Now you can approve the changes and close the control panel.
- Set up your Xbox console. Go to the “Settings” menu. In “Network”, select “Set up a wireless network” and enter the Wi-Fi data when prompted.
- Use a VPN on your Xbox! Connect your Xbox console to your router and start playing.
NordVPN has clear guides for setting up IKEv2 and OpenVPN on your router. However, you can only use SmartPlay (Smart DNS) for streaming. If you have any issues with setting up NordVPN, live chat customer support is available 24/7 .
Set up Xbox One VPN via Mac
What if you have a Mac instead of a PC? Don’t worry as macOS offers something similar to the PC oriented method above. You’ll also need many of the same items – an Ethernet cable, Mac desktop or laptop, Xbox One, and an active VPN subscription.
We’ve also compiled the best VPNs for Mac should you need help choosing a Mac-supported VPN.
- Install the VPN software of your choice on your Mac.
- Plug the Ethernet cable into the back of the Xbox One and Mac.
- Go to System Preferences> Sharing and select Internet Sharing from the list on the left side of the window.
- Select Wi-Fi from the Share connection to menu.
- Make sure Ethernet is selected in the “To computers using” list. If you use an Ethernet cable to connect to the Internet on your Mac, share the connection over Wi ‑ Fi.
- Check the box to the left of Internet Sharing in the list to enable Internet Connection Sharing between your Mac and your Xbox One console. If successful, a green icon will appear.
- Open the VPN software on your Mac and connect to the server of your choice.
- Test Internet Connection on Xbox One – If you followed the instructions, you should now be using a VPN on your Xbox One.
Now that you’re connected to a VPN, why not learn how to use the keyboard and mouse on your Xbox One to really improve your game.
Related articles for further reading
Note: We can earn a commission when you buy via links on our site at no extra cost to you. This does not affect our editorial independence. Learn more.
Author: Lewis Painter, Senior Staff Writer
Our Apple expert Lewis covers everything from iPhone to AirPods, as well as a range of smartphones, tablets, laptops, and gaming hardware. You can also find it on the Tech Advisor channel on YouTube.
If that’s too much for you, buy your own VPN subscription and manually enter your VPN details into your Wi-Fi router. The problem is that depending on your router brand and VPN provider, the steps may vary, so it’s almost impossible to provide a step-by-step guide on how to do this.
Can I use a free VPN with Xbox One?
The short answer is yes, but it’s not perfect. The long answer needs explaining.
There are two types of free VPNs on the Internet:
- Completely Free VPNs – They’re sketchy as they get funded through advertising and other measures that aren’t privacy-friendly, such as selling tracked data. Plus, the speed is usually terrible, and you often can’t unblock popular streaming services. This isn’t the type of free VPN that I recommend
- Freemium VPNs – These are the free versions of paid VPNs. As you can imagine, they have some limitations like data limits or the inability to unblock streaming platforms. While not a viable long-term solution, some VPNs like Windscribe can be pretty decent. For example, with Windscribe you get a data cap of 10 GB / month
So, while you can use the free VPN on Xbox One, it’s not something I wholeheartedly recommend. Using paid VPNs is your best option. And some of them are quite cheap.
Can you use a VPN on Xbox?
No, you cannot use a VPN directly on your Xbox because the console does not support VPN. However, you can install a VPN on your router or create a mobile hotspot on your laptop (where you install the VPN) and connect your Xbox One console to it.
What VPNs work on Xbox?
No VPNs work on Xbox. Not directly, at least. But if you want a VPN that you can use on your Xbox console through your router or laptop, almost all of them work. If you connect your Xbox console to your router where you’ve installed your VPN, you’re good to go.
Can someone hack your Xbox IP address?
Yes, there are ways hackers and DDoS attackers can get your IP address, but not if you use a VPN. One of the main roles of a VPN is to hide your real IP address, which makes it virtually impossible to conduct a DDoS attack on you.
Should I use a free VPN for Xbox One?
No, you shouldn’t be using a free Xbox One VPN. While some free versions of paid VPNs that you can use with your Xbox console may have some decent features, a free VPN always limits you. Some free VPNs are downright dangerous. So I do not recommend it again.
More VPN guides from CyberNews:
Best VPNs for Gaming: Win matches and enjoy unlimited internet access
Fortnite Lag Repair Guide: Solve one of the most common and annoying problems
The best VPNs for PS4 and PS5: get the most out of your console with these services
In addition to Lightway and IKEv2, you can use OpenVPN, which is not recommended unless you have a powerful router. If you intend to use your Xbox One console for streaming, please know that SmartDNS (MediaStreamer.
Ivacy VPN Screenshot of Windows
Since most VPNs aren’t set up for use on Xbox consoles, it’s hard to know exactly how to implement them. However, there are a few simple options that, once set up, shouldn’t be too difficult to use. While we may not think of them as surfing the internet, there’s more to Xbox than just gaming: there’s web browsing, streaming, and other online services that require a VPN for added security and privacy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since using a VPN is not as common with Xbox as it is with mobile devices and computers, confusion can arise about compatibility and complexity to set up. We’re here to help.
To stay private and safe online, you’ll need a VPN for Xbox.
There are several VPNs that work with Xbox One, including CyberGhost, ExpressVPN, IPVanish, Ivacy VPN, NordVPN, Private Internet Access, and Surfshark.
To get a free VPN for Xbox One, download Surfshark from their website or app store. You can use Surfshark for free on your Xbox One console for 30 days. Then prices start at 3,500.49 per month with a two-year subscription.
You can only use NordVPN on Xbox One; does not work with Xbox Series S, Xbox Series X or Xbox 360.