Pro-tip: Go to “Installed”, then select the filter button (defaults to “Y” for the controller) and select “Supported Controller”. This will limit your list to games where the controllers are fully supported. This will make the game easier and in some cases fun to play. \
How to Set up the Steam Link App to Work over the Internet
When Valve announced the Steam Link app, I was incredibly happy – I will finally be able to play my PC games wherever I want… But when it was launched it came with a caveat:
The Steam Link app brings PC games to your Android device. Just pair a Bluetooth controller or Steam Controller with your device, connect to a Steam PC on the same local network, and start playing your existing Steam games.
Similarly. Local. Network.
However, I am not a man who ignores limitations. With a bit of googling, I was able to set up the Steam Link app to work over the internet. This is what I did.
Disclaimer: This is not supported by Valve and will require you to play around with IP addresses and port forwarding. While I find it fairly simple, it may not be easy – but what do you have to lose?
What you will need:
- Steam configured on your gaming PC (which I assume is running on Windows).
- Some games installed on said computer.
- Android Cell Phone – Sorry to iPhone fans, Apple has declined the Steam Link app at the time of writing this guide.
- Steam Link application installed on the mentioned phone.
- Some kind of controller (I’m using the Steam Controller via Bluetooth – if you want to do the same, you’ll need to update the Steam Controller firmware to the latest version to enable Bluetooth).
- Fast mobile connection.
This step requires that the phone and the computer are on the same local network. The easiest way to do this is when you are at home and sitting in front of your computer.
- Make sure your phone is connected to Wi-Fi and the controller is paired with your phone.
- Open the Steam Link application – it will start scanning for computers running Steam.
- Tap your computer and you will see a PIN to enter on that computer.
- Enter the PIN code on your computer – the phone will verify the connection and you will be ready to play!
Most games work with Steam Link, from the most popular Steam games to the most unknown. If you don’t have a large Steam account or computer, you can also use your Android phone to stream games to your Xbox thanks to the wonders of cloud gaming.
Remote Play Together
Steam Link – Select Remote Play Together! Любой пользователь Steam может пригласить кого угодно с приложением Steam Link присоединиться к игре.