The newest Pokémon Trading Card Game expansion pulls direct influence from the 2020 Pokémon Sword & Shield expansion, The Isle of Armor. Focusing in on the fact that Kubfu, the Legendary Pokémon introduced in that expansion, can evolve into one of two different forms of Urshifu depending on how it’s trained, the new Battle Styles expansion introduces Single Strike and Rapid Strike variants on both Urshifu, as well as other established Pokémon from the series.
This new expansion adds more than 160 new cards to the always-growing Pokémon Trading Card Game, including 12 Pokémon V and six Pokémon VMAX. As mentioned before, you can expect Single Strike variants for Pokémon like Emboar and Primeape and Rapid Strike versions of Pokémon like Mienfoo and Octillery. These versions grant added abilities that play into the Isle of Armor expansion, where Single Strike is about delivering one powerful attack, while Rapid Strike is about speed and hitting enemy weaknesses. We were sent a bunch of booster packs by The Pokémon Company to see which new cards we could pull.
You can see a gallery of the coolest and best cards we pulled from the new Pokémon Sword & Shield – Battle Styles expansion below.
Pokémon Trading Card Game’s Sword & Shield – Battle Styles expansion releases on March 19. For more on the Pokémon Trading Card Game, check out our big galleries for many of the most recent expansions.
- Sword & Shield – Shining Fates
- Sword & Shield – Vivid Voltage
- Sword & Shield – Champion’s Path
- Sword & Shield – Darkness Ablaze
- Sword & Shield – Rebel Clash
- Sword & Shield
- Sword & Shield Galar Collection Boxes
- Sun and Moon – Hidden Fates and Unified Minds
- Sun and Moon – Unbroken Bonds
- Sun and Moon – Team Up
- Sun and Moon – Lost Thunder
- Sun and Moon – Celestial Storm
- Sun and Moon – Forbidden Light
- Sun and Moon – Ultra Prism
- Sun and Moon – Shining Legends
- Sun and Moon – Burning Shadows
- Sun and Moon – Guardians Rising
- Sun and Moon
- XY Generations/XY Evolutions
- Premium Trainer’s XY Collection
For our review of Pokémon Sword & Shield, head here. To read our full cover story of Pokémon Sword & Shield, which chronicles the making of the game, head here. For a look at the more absurd side of this hobby, check out this story about how scalpers have been buying up all of McDonald’s Happy Meal Pokémon cards.