Mermaids is the latest occult state of life to appear in the Island Living expansion. No Sim is more connected to the sea than Mermaids. They may seem like your average Sim on land, but they reveal their fishy, scaly tails when in the water. They also have special powers that set them apart from human Sims.
- The Sims 3 Island Paradise Blogs
- Mermaid Madness!
- Becoming a mermaid
- The Sims 4: Island Living
- Becoming a Mermaid
- Becoming a Mermaid
- Mermaid Hydration
- 13 Bathing Replenishes A Mermaid’s Hydration
- 12 Mermaids Favor The Ocean
- Other ways to get Mermaids in The Sims 4
- How can you make an existing Sim a Mermaid?
- How can I undo my Sim being a mermaid?
- Get Mermaid/Merman Kids
- How to detect a Mermaid/Merman
- Interacting with other Merfolk
- Special Hydration activities
- Filling Hydration Need
The Sims 3 Island Paradise Blogs
Wow! Can you believe The Sims 3 Island Paradise release day is finally here !? What an adventure this project was! In fact, it’s been exactly a year since we first met when we had to come up with a theme for the tenth expansion pack for The Sims 3. And despite being the tenth in a long line of great The Sims 3 titles, I’ve never been more excited about the release of any game I’ve ever worked on! The Sims 3 Island Paradise is a massive expansion pack that adds core features for everyone – no matter how you play The Sims. From houseboats and resorts to unexplored islands and scuba diving, I can’t think of any other TS3 expansion that would add so many new mainstream systems and ways to play. But you already know everything about what’s included!So instead of using this blog to summarize all the great things about The Sims 3 Island Paradise.
• The easiest way to get into the management of the facility is to “buy” Hobart’s hideout. This once beautiful resort has fallen into disrepair and takes a lot of work, but it’s a great way to start a resort empire without too much financial commitment! Due to the condition of the center it goes for a low, low price of §0.00! This will allow you to deal with managing the center much faster than building it from scratch.
• There are many different ways to discover unexplored islands. Some can be discovered by simply exploring the area around them by boat, while others will take a little more research. Try to talk to some of the local Isla Paradiso people as they have inner knowledge of the surrounding islands and can send you out to seek discoveries!
• Diving opens up a whole new underwater kingdom for your Sims. But it can be dangerous! Make sure you acquire the snorkeling skill before attempting to venture out into deep waters.
• Keeping your visitors happy at your resort is a difficult task! The amenities and fun items found in the Resort Facilities tab in Build and Buy Modes are key to ensuring your resort guests have a good time. Satisfied guests can mean a successful resort!
• When it comes to living on a houseboat, the ocean is your backyard! Move between harbors whenever you want, or leave the land rat life completely behind and live in a house in the middle of the ocean.
• Diving Sims may occasionally encounter a mysterious mermaid beneath the waves. Becoming friends with one of them is the key to revealing the secret of turning your Sim into one of them!
• When it comes to building houseboats, there are many hull sizes and shapes to start with. If you are building a smaller houseboat, all-in-one ladders and bathrooms are critical to keeping a functional household in a tight space.
• AQUA SLED. Different boats travel at different speeds. So if you want to get up fast, save and buy a water sled or a speedboat for your Sims. Both will get you where you need to go (which can be a very long road in Isla Paradiso).
And there you have it – some hot tips to help you get up and sim on the sunny shores of Isla Paradiso. As always, and even more so with this expansion, I can’t wait to hear about all the fun that The Sims 3 Island Paradise will bring – I’m always amazed to see content and stories we haven’t seen, even think they were possible when were spoken and created by you. Until next time Simmers, Shaka Brah!
Mermaids are a new occult state of life in The Sims 3 Island Paradise! Mermaids are very similar to regular Sims, but like to spend their time swimming, preferably in salt water. As expected, Mermaids are more versatile in the water than regular Sims. They can swim faster, stay underwater indefinitely, and if they have the Evil trait, they have the special ability to summon sharks!
Mermaids Sims have beautiful fish tails in the water and scaly legs on land. Their scale colors can be adjusted using the “Change Scale Color” interaction on the mirror. Thanks to this interaction, female mermaids will also be able to adjust the color of the seashells they wear while swimming.
The mermaids have an “irrigation” theme which is implemented by in-water activities like swimming and bathing, and if you have The Sims 3 Seasons, even walks in the rain! It is important to pay attention to this motif as Mermaids are sea creatures, they are easily dehydrated. If their motivation for hydration gets too low, they’ll start to dry up! First they crack, then they peel off (eww!), And finally they collapse due to dehydration. If that happens, another Sim must revive the Mermaid by pouring water over her, otherwise the Grim Reaper will visit him!
Of course, Mermaids can have children. If a Mermaid falls in love with another Mermaid (woohoo!), They will surely have Mermaid’s offspring. The Mermaid and the Common Sim have a 50/50 chance of making their kids Mermaids.
Mermaids can eat the same things as regular Sims, but prefer tasty seaweed and fresh fish. This makes them very popular with cats if you have The Sims 3 Pets! Rumor has it that there is a mysterious, unexplored island known only to the Sirens. If your Sim is lucky and befriends the Mermaid, they might tell you a secret!
Be sure to tune in to The Sims live stream on Tuesday, June 18 to see The Mermaids in the Island Paradise live gameplay demo, as well as learn more about the underwater activities in this expansion, coming June 25.
As soon as they get into deeper water, they will turn into a mermaid. This is done through the tipping animation. The proximity to the ocean also allows them to sleep in the sea, which they will do while swimming on their backs.
Becoming a mermaid
Sim can become a Mermaid by consuming Mermaid Seaweed, which can be obtained by befriending the Mermaid and using the “Ask for Fish Parts” interaction with both Sim and the mermaid under water, or by purchasing “Mermaid Seaweed” for a lifetime reward for 25,000 points lifetime happiness. Note that other life states cannot become mermaids, even if they eat the mermaid’s seaweed, unless mods are used. They must become normal Sims before they turn into a mermaid. Sirens cannot be handcrafted or exchanged as EA wanted them to be an exclusive state of life. However, you can still share homesteads with regular Sims and at least one piece of “Mermaid Seaweed” in a Sim’s inventory to instantly turn them into mermaids.
The Mermaid is a genetic state of life. There is a 50% chance that the baby will be a mermaid for any mermaid parent. If both parents are mermaids, the baby will be 100% mermaid. And since it is a life state, it cannot have a different life state, for example, it cannot become a zombified mermaid even though it is a secondary life state that can be combined with other major life states.
In the water, mermaids have a colorful scaly fish / dolphin tail instead of legs. Males have a tail with a straight fin like a shark and walk shirtless, while females wear a bikini top with a shell and tails topped with a classic dolphin-shaped fluke. On land, a mermaid’s tail will turn into a pair of scaly legs of the same color. Mermaids have scaly legs since childhood, but their legs will not turn into a tail in the water until a Sim is a teenager. Mermaids cannot wear socks as the scales will replace the socks.
The color of the mermaid’s scales and, for women, the shell-shaped bikini top, can be adjusted using the “Change Scale Color” interaction using the mirrors.
Sirens have the same needs as regular Sims, with two main differences:
- Hydration: Instead of hygiene, there is a need for “hydration”, as with PlantSim. This can be satisfied by swimming in the ocean or swimming pool, using a shower or bath, or relaxing in the hot tub. If The Sims 3: Seasons is installed, they may also water themselves from standing in the rain. Dehydration will cause Sim to dry out, giving them a negative Moodlet. They will eventually pass out and if another Sim doesn’t splash water on them, they will die.
- Hunger: Sirens don’t get much energy from normal meals. Instead, they need fish and seaweed. The fish can be caught while fishing or while diving and can be eaten raw. You can also buy fish at the grocery store. If a Mermaid has a vegetarian trait, eating fish will make her nauseous, unless you have the “Immunity” lifetime award. Kelp can be harvested from the dive areas or purchased at the grocery store. If the mermaid’s need is very low, eating two pieces of seaweed is enough to fully replenish them. If you have The Sims 3: World Adventures, the Special Merchant Pemmikan is the only food other than seafood that fully satisfies their hunger.
Even if the Mermaid is well hydrated, she must swim in the ocean at least once every 48 hours or she will get the “Salt Water Shortage” moodlet. Over the course of the day, this will turn into Land Adaptation, and when this Moodlet expires, the Siren will turn into a normal Sim. Purchasing the “Constant Mermaid” Lifetime Prize will prevent the Mermaid from losing her occult status.
The Sims 4: Island Living
Becoming a Mermaid
Sims can become Mermaids by eating Mermaids. When a Sim eats Syrian seaweed, they will receive the Moodlet “Strange Experience” +3 “Charged”; the Sim must then go into the water and swim to complete the transition and grow a tail. If the Moodlet runs out, a Sim will no longer turn into a mermaid after entering the water and will have to eat the mermaid’s seaweed again if they wish to become one. He cannot have any other states of life; for example, it cannot be a vampire siren.
Syrian seaweed can be obtained in different ways:
- Purchasing from the Rewards Store for 500 Satisfaction Points.
- Rare chance to get 10 seaweed when exploring a cave in Mua Pel’am
- After you befriend a dolphin and have it “retrieved”, there is a rare chance that the dolphin will bring you seaweed.
- Rare chance to get when fishing anywhere in Sulani.
- Very rare chance to find while digging through the sand on a Sulani beach.
- With the code bb.showhiddenobjects you can buy Syrian seaweed in build mode.
Unlike Island Paradise, in Island Living, mermaids can be created with CAS in an occult state. Mermaids are a genetic state of life. There is a 50% chance that the baby will be a mermaid for any mermaid parent. If both parents are mermaids, the baby will be 100% mermaid.
Mermaids come in many different looks. At CAS, players can give them four different tails of many different colors and lots of tops for female mermaids. Mermaids can also have different skin tones, special scales on the face, different eyes with a unique eye color, and a new set of teeth reminiscent of shark teeth. Mermaids can have different skin tones based on the colors of the ocean.
Mermaids resemble ordinary Sims on land, but will grow tails when they enter a body of water, ocean, pools or tubs. The mermaid tail color and other features can be customized under “Change Sim”.
A Mermaid’s needs differ from Sims in one respect:
- Hydration – Mermaids have hydration instead of hygiene. Mermaids need to moisturize their skin regularly to stay safe, they can fulfill this need by drinking water, bathing and going to a pool or ocean. Hydration is also needed to harness their siren’s power. Staying in the sun exhausts their need for hydration faster than at night. Staying in pools for too long will dry out the mermaid’s scales due to chlorine. Hot tubs also drain the mermaid. When a mermaid needs rehydration it is empty, it won’t become human or die; instead, they will remain extremely uncomfortable until they are able to moisturize the skin. The Always Fresh Reward feature helps keep you hydrated, keeping your mermaids at their maximum level and allowing mermaids to use their powers as much as possible.
- Hunger: Unlike The Sims 3, Mermaid doesn’t need to eat just seaweed and fish. In fact, if your Mermaid Sim eats something from seafood, they will get a nasty 1+ Moodlet that reads “Stomach Squirt.” This Moodlet will last a total of 4 hours. Other meats are okay, unless the mermaid is a vegetarian.
You’ll notice a new option in the social options menu, ask for the siren. While this seems like a great idea, mermaids don’t usually give you an honest answer. The standard answer seems to be “siren? whatever gave you that idea? even when they stand next to you in the form of a mermaid in the ocean.
Becoming a Mermaid
Mermaids can be created directly in Create A Sim, but a human Sim can become one if they wish by consuming the mermaid’s special seaweed. Mermadic Kelp can be obtained in many ways. The easiest way to get it is by purchasing it in the Rewards Store for 500 Satisfaction Points. Mermadic Kelp will appear in the Sim’s inventory.
❗ Siberian seaweed can also be found by other means such as fishing, treasure diving, treasure retrieval request by dolphin and cave exploration in Mua Pel’am.
Once a Sim gets a mermaid, they will have to consume it to turn into a mermaid. After eating Syrian Seaweed, Sims will receive a 24 Hour Moodlet +3 “Strange Experiences”. Once the Moodlet is activated, Sims will need to enter the ocean and officially transform into a Mermaid. If they don’t enter the ocean within 24 hours, the Sim will remain human.
❗ MerSim can also produce mermaid offspring. If two mermaids try to have a baby, the baby will have mermaid power as they become teenagers. If only one parent is a Mermaid, there is a 50/50 chance that the offspring will become a Mermaid.
When you have a Mermaid in your family, you will have to take care of her needs. Instead of needing hygiene, mermaids need to be rehydrated. Showering, bathing, swimming and drinking water can satisfy this need and make Mermaids happy.
Low hydration sirens will receive the “Inconvenient” Dried Scales “moodlet +2, and when the hydration bar is almost depleted, the Mermaid will receive an” Inconvenient “” Dehydrated! “Message. +3 moodlet and fragrance. Staying hydrated is very important to Mermaids.
In the lower left corner of the screen you can choose a special occult lifestyle for your new Sim, look for the Mermaid icon and click on it. You will now receive 2 icons for your Sim. The top one is your mermaid and the bottom one is your normal form.
13 Bathing Replenishes A Mermaid’s Hydration
The features of a mermaid replace hygiene with humidification, and it works in exactly the same way. If your hydration drops, your mermaid will become smelly and uncomfortable. It’s also worth noting that when using the siren’s power, you also use up your hydration, so it’s worth refilling it.
Hydration is quickly replenished by staying in the ocean, but can be replenished with any water source, including sinks, showers, and tubs. This means your mermaid can live anywhere. They don’t need to be near the ocean, although being out in the open water offers other benefits.
12 Mermaids Favor The Ocean
While mermaids may live anywhere, they thrive on the ocean. They rehydrate faster, receive joyful buffs, and have access to all of their abilities.
The mermaid’s ability to survive is not tied to the ocean, but is limited on dry land. They will miss the ocean and will be much happier if they find themselves in Sulani. Certain powers are bound to the ocean and will be useless in other bodies of water.
Note, however, that using debug codes to change Sims in the game carries a risk of glitches and corruption, so always save your game first.
Other ways to get Mermaids in The Sims 4
For those gamers looking to immerse themselves quickly and play with the mermaid character, The Sims 4 offers two other ways.
Create a Mermaid with Create a Sim
If you prefer, you can simply create a mermaid in Create A Sim by starting a new game or creating a new household to insert into an existing save file.
When you enter Create a Sim, a randomly generated starting character will be a Vanilla Human. (Unless you’re using the game’s new Story Mode, which can assign you a mermaid character based on your answers to the quiz questions.)
To create a Mermaid, you must click the “Add Character” icon next to your current character portrait in the lower left corner of the screen and select “Add Occult Sim> Add Mermaid” from the pop-up menu.
This will create a second randomly generated character, but this one will be very clearly a mermaid: the Create a Sim background will become watery, a school of fish will swim around the new character for a while and – most tellingly – it will have a fish tail instead of legs.
(You can delete the original human figure by clicking on the little cross on its portrait, assuming you want it to be a family just for the mermaid.) From here on, the character creation process is pretty much the same as ever, except that they both have human shapes and sirens to customize.
There is one potentially serious downside to creating a mermaid in Create A Sim: you have to start from scratch. It is not possible to import an existing human form (or vampire / alien / ghost) and turn it into a mermaid when creating a character.
This means that even if your favorite Sim is safely stored in your library, ready to be added back to your game as many times as you like, you cannot turn it into a siren with a few simple clicks; you must try something else. Which brings us to order.
Using Siren Cheats
Let’s be honest, cheating is a staple of The Sims franchise and has been around in the franchise’s twenty-year history. You know it, I know it, and the programmers know it – and no one is judging anyone for it! Therefore, to this day, the creators of The Sims do everything to make their codes easily accessible and easy to use.
To become a siren with cheats, follow these steps:
- Open the cheat console. (See our The Sims 4 cheat page for how to do this.) The console appears in the upper left corner of the screen
- Type and type testingcheats on or testingcheats true (both will work) to enable cheat debugging.
- With your future mermaid as the active character, enter the following code: Traits.Equip_Trait Trait_OccultMermaid
A beep will sound to indicate that you have entered the code correctly. The Hidden Mermaid Trait is then activated on your character, and you should be able to do the same as for Method 1. (Your Sim, however, will not receive the Strange Experience Moodlet, which indicates that you have acquired the skill in normal gameplay.)
Tip: Poor maintenance can negatively affect the quality of your facility, which in turn can result in fewer customers. Any piece of rubbish or broken equipment will be negatively reflected in the resort feedback panel. Andyes, cockroaches. When I asked the team and asked what best represented a poorly maintained hotel, I unanimously replied “cockroaches”.
How can you make an existing Sim a Mermaid?
If you want to turn your current Sim into a mermaid, you’ll need to purchase or find a mermaid seaweed. You can find Mermadic Kelp while treasure hunt dive (you need the treasure tool for this interaction to appear). They can also be found in a secret cave located on the island with a shipwreck in the upper right corner. When you get the “Underground Pools” message, you’ve found special seaweed. You immediately get 10 of them, so enough for the whole family to turn around. Eat one mermaid seaweed and a normal Sim will turn into a mermaid when you step into the water within the next 24 hours. Note the enhancement Strange sensations.
As thoughts of coral reefs and salt water fill your Sims’ mind, they experience a sudden urge to step into a large body of water. Should your Sim pick up the phone?
You can also purchase medical seaweed in the Reward Store to turn your equivalent Sim into a Mermaid.
- Go to the Aspirations menu (shortcut: G)
- Click the gift icon in the upper right corner
- Find medical seaweed and buy it for 500 reward points
- Find the mermadic Kelp in your inventory and eat it
- Take your Sim to the pool or ocean to watch him turn into a mermaid
How can I undo my Sim being a mermaid?
Your Sim must find 2 Mermaid Seaweed and eat them within 4 hours of each other.
Get Mermaid/Merman Kids
If the Mermaid and the Mermaid have a child together, the child who is born will also be a mermaid. But that won’t show up until they’re a teenager. If the Mermaid / Mermaid has a child with a normal Sim, there is a 50% chance that she will be a Mermaid / Mermaid. You can check if your child is a mermaid by going to Create a Sim. An icon will appear above the attributes that grant them.
How to detect a Mermaid/Merman
The Sim may be a bit suspicious when they are around the water, and you can ask the Sim, “Are you a Mermaid?” They won’t always give up if they’re just friends or acquaintances. You can also use a “regular” shell to summon a siren and a siren (this only works if you are the siren yourself). Then you can ask them about their strange behavior to call them a mermaid or a mermaid.
Fun fact: When a mermaid eats fish dishes, she will feel uncomfortable eating her fish friend.
Interacting with other Merfolk
During the conversation with another Mermaid / Merman, you can perform a few special interactions. You can make a special Mermaid kiss without a romantic relationship or sing 4 different Mermaid Lullabies. Each of these lullabies will give a Sim’s song a different boost.
Special Hydration activities
Some special activities will cost you rehydration. Change the weather, sing the siren and even summon your unique azure dolphin.
- Call Over Azure Dolphin (-30 irrigation)
This is your dolphin buddy when you are the mermaid. Your friendship starts out as soulmates, so you can perform any interaction you can with the dolphins.
- Mermaid’s Kiss (-30 Hydration)
Sim kissed by a mermaid can now dive underwater for extended periods.
- Siren’s Lullaby: Aegan’s Question (-30 Hydration)
This will make the other Sim tense
- Siren Lullaby: The Summoner’s Lullaby (-30 Hydration)
This will make the second Sim Flirty
- Siren Lullaby: Inspirational Berceuse (-30 hydration)
This will keep the other Sim inspired
- Mermaid’s Lullaby: Nocturnal Requiem (-30 Hydration)
This will make the other Sim Sad
- Water bait: Specific fisheries (-30 waters)
Excellent quality fish can only be caught when the lure is active. But catching fish while you’re a mermaid will make your Sim sad as you hurt your fish friends.
- Call the clear sky (-75 hydration)
This will remove rain or thunderstorms and create a clear sky. Click on your Sim to perform this interaction.
- Summon Rainstorm (-75 hydration)
Summon the rain to the world. Click on your Sim to perform this interaction.
- Summon thunderstorm (-75 hydration)
Time to play Thor and summon the storm. Click on your Sim to perform this interaction.
- Ocean Danger Call (-30 Hydration)
This will make your Sim tense
- Sirens Call (-100 Hydration)
Drastically reduces the needs of Sims
Fun fact: Mermaids can talk to fish in aquariums.
Summon the ocean threat as a joke
Filling Hydration Need
Sirens and sirens, instead of hygiene, have to take care of their hydration. You need hydration to perform special siren interactions. You can’t really die from dehydration, but your Sim can smell like rotten fish when they’re low in hydration. Many water-related items replenish their water needs.
- Swim in the ocean
This is the most logical way to replenish your hydration. Take your Sim for a swim in the ocean.
- Swim in the pool
Pools will also work! When you are invited to a party, for example, you can dive into the pool.
- Take a bath or shower
Just like your hygiene needs, you can take a bath or shower for your hydration needs. When you are in the bathtub, the mermaid’s tail will be visible.
- Drink a glass of water
Water is always available when there is a sink nearby. An easy way to replenish hydration.
- Wash Hands / Brush Teeth
This will slightly increase your hydration.
- Standing in the rain
If you have The Sims 4 Seasons, your Sim will be able to stay hydrated after rain.